Is conserver the right tool for this?

Jae Norment JNorment@Q2Software.com
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 14:14:21 -0700 (PDT)

This is what I've been asked to set up:

"[ A way to ] .. SSH to the server and then run script to get a console
session on a connected device OR ssh directly to a defined TCP port and
get a "direct" connection to the serial device without executing a
script at a shell"

I think that conserver can do this, and if I understand correctly, very
elegantly, but the configuration options are so numerous that I have no
idea how to set up the config file.  I've managed to puzzle through
getting the special serial port hardware ( an 8 port panel by perle )
set up, and I've verified that the ports work via minicom / terminal,
but when I try to start conserver:

conserver: conserver.com version 8.1.16
conserver: default access type `r'
conserver: default escape sequence `^Ec'
conserver: default configuration in `/usr/local/etc/conserver.cf'
conserver: default password in `/usr/local/etc/conserver.passwd'
conserver: default logfile is `/var/log/conserver'
conserver: default pidfile is `/var/run/conserver.pid'
conserver: default limit is 16 members per group
conserver: default primary port referenced as `conserver'
conserver: default secondary base port referenced as `0'
conserver: options: openssl
conserver: openssl version: OpenSSL 0.9.8c 05 Sep 2006
conserver: built with `./configure --with-openssl

-- which is perfectly understandable, as I haven't told conserver that
the ports I want to use for this are /dev/ttyPS0-/dev/ttyPS7.  The
config files that I've found so far are way overkill for what I think I
want to do...  Can I get a 'dummies' version of the manpage?

Thanks!

--J.