Re: Re: conserver extras

Andras.Horvath Andras.Horvath@cern.ch
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:23:43 GMT

> Our conservers share the same conserver.cf using crond and cvs.
> The nice part is being able to 'console myserver' on any of the conservers
> without knowing which console is being served by which conserver.

At the moment we log in to the headnode interactively (there's a client
wrapper script around 'ssh -t ${client}.headnode.cern.ch -- console
${client}' or somesuch).

This works just as well and it minimizes the times stuff needs to be
regenerated and restarted. (Again, we have 9000+ clients and 200+
headnodes, and yes, the configuration changes often as machines are
reallocated, renamed, moved, installed or retired etc.)

> > Because it's there and unused :), and because ttyS devices are
> > 660 root:uucp by default in RHEL5. Why not?
>
> Fair enough, but conserver isn't intended solely for linux/rhel so I guess
> Bryan wouldn't want that in the common source tree.

No, this stuff is in contrib/, a redhat-specific init script as well as
a (redhat- or RPM-specific :) spec file. (My "patch" does not touch
actual source code.) These are just each set up so that running as
non-root works out of the box, logrotate rotates in the right directory
etc.

However, I feel that all these OS-specific packaging details and
good defaults are what make conserver actually usable if you have a
larger farm (the Debian wrap-up is also neat, btw.) If there's no
one to look after the package in each distribution we may want to
include these extras WITH the source code, so that people can create
their binary packages more easily.

> > I had a look of what's up there, and I mostly don't need that (the most
> > common use case is standard serial or standard IPMI 2.0 SOL). The ILOM
> > one certainly looks interesting, but how do you pass
> > username/password/key to ssh?
>
> It's an expect tcl script.

Er.. meaning? Do user/pass need to be hardcoded in the script?

Andras