Re: Escape-sequence on telnet connecton

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:42:42 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 09:30:08AM +0100, Nagy Andreas wrote:
> I have already tried to reinstall the pkg, but ^Ec is still not working on
> Telnet! (running conserver-con installed via pkg_add on FreeBSD 6.1)

> Sent: Donnerstag, 11. Jänner 2007 11:36
>
> I changed the escape-sequence while I was connected to a console via telnet,
> with the comman ^Ece to something I can't remember!
>
> So how can I restore the default escape-sequence on the telnet conections to
> the consoles?

the escape sequence is not permanent as it's a per-client option.  as
soon as you disconnect and/or reconnect, you'll have the default ^Ec
sequence.  it sounds like you've got telnet in line mode instead of
character mode (well, it's a guess).  my telnet client has a 'mode
character' command to enable that.  hopefully that's the problem.

just to reiterate to everyone again - it's my opinion using telnet to
interact with conserver is a "last resort" method.  a simple script in
your favorite interpretive language that really deals with the basics of
the protocol would much better.  and, of course, using the console
client is the best.  i know folks have reasons for doing it, and that's
fine, but please be aware of the dangers.  no where does anything
mention compatibility with telnet (just some similarity).  but, like
many tcp-based protocols, it kinda works.

Bryan