Re: conserver.cf question

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:42:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 06:30:02PM -0400, William P LePera wrote:
> [root@c104hc01 conserver]# /opt/conserver/bin/console
> f1x345n01.clusters.com
> [Enter `^Ec?' for help]
> [read-only -- initializing]

the 'initializing' says that conserver is still busy trying to bring up
the console.  if there is some 'initcmd' stuff buried in the config
(somehow) that's firing, that could explain it.  if not, then perhaps
the socket connection isn't being accepted immediately.  the config
snippet you sent showed you used a kerberos telnet client before - if
you use a standard telnet client, do you get a delay?  i kinda doubt it,
but i figured i'd ask anyway.  you shouldn't be in the 'initializing'
state once the socket connection is made unless you have some 'initcmd'
stuff going.  and it could be a bug in 8.1.7 that has hopefully been
fixed...there has been quite a bit between .7 and .14.  and i
think newer versions will pop you into read-write mode once the
initialization is complete...so you at least know it's ready.  at least,
i think i remember working on that at some point...

> Is there anything else that needs to be added to the config file to get the
> console opened in read/write mode?  I would have thought the "rw *" in the
> default block would be enough.

yep...that's all...it really is just conserver thinking the console
isn't ready to be used yet.  hopefully you can drop in 8.1.14 for a
quick test to see what happens...if it still doesn't initialize the
consoles properly, i'd love to know.  i'd then love to see debug output,
maybe a trace, etc...

Bryan