RE: conserver.cf question (portbase, port...)

Harris, David \(SBS US\) david.k.harris@siemens.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:52:30 -0700 (PDT)

  Hi William,

  The one difference I see from my standard configs, is that I call out
the "portbase" and "portinc" variables for each brand of [terminal|console]
server, as in the following example...

  default cyclades { type host; portbase 2000; portinc 1; }

  This way, my "port" variable for each device represents the hardware
port number, so it's a bit more intuitive which port to which you are
connecting each console...

  console daphne { include ts21 ; port 12 ; }

  While this seems pretty self-evident for most console servers, there
are a few cases where the port increment is x100, versus x1, and there
are a few devices where the starting port base is 'unusual', depending
on which slot you use for the NM-xA or HWIC-xA modules. That's
where this method really shines, helping to document where you
plugged in the cables. :-)

  Perhaps having just the port called, without a defined portbase or
portinc variable is the cause? Seems like an interesting symptom. :-)

        -Z-