RE: Searchable archives? Best practices?

Brodie, Kent brodie@mcw.edu
Tue, 30 May 2006 19:20:46 -0700 (PDT)

I didn't bother separating the networks--  but I did install an ssh key
on the server, a separate userid for console operations, and it works
pretty well.   Easy to get going, once to bang your head against the
wall getting ssh to behave.

My conserver.cf config is rather simple, yet effective.   I know I can
lock it down further, but it works for me.

Once I got it working, I locked down the terminal server and disabled
telnet access.   We use cyclades TS series.

Here's my conserver config if it helps:

# first, we're going to set some generic console defaults so that we
# don't have to duplicate them for each console.
default * {
        logfile /var/log/consoles/&;    # '&' is replaced with console
name
        timestamp 1hab;                 # write timestamps
        rw *;                           # allow all users
        master localhost;
}

## These are term servers accessed with an ssh command
## local user on these is conserver, they have ssh keys for root
## from this host.
# it too uses pattern substitution and such to get the job done
default cyclades1 { type exec;
                   host xyzzzz.xxxx.edu;
                   exec /usr/bin/ssh -l conserver:P H;
                   execsubst H=hs,P=Pd;
                   portbase 7000; portinc 1; }

default cyclades2 { type exec;
                   host xyzzy.xxxxx.edu;
                   exec /usr/bin/ssh -l conserver:P H;
                   execsubst H=hs,P=Pd;
                   portbase 7000; portinc 1; }

# ------- define the consoles on ts1.conserver.com --------
console abc     { include cyclades1; port 1; }
console abc2     { include cyclades1; port 2; }
console phred     { include cyclades1; port 3; }
console gray    { include cyclades1; port 4; }