Re: Multiple rw sessions?

Brian Matheson bmath@xsigo.com
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 12:44:20 -0800 (PST)

Harris, David (SBS US) <david.k.harris@siemens.com> wrote:

>   Hmmm...why the multiple read/write sessions?

In large part because we have systems that currently work that way.  I
actually like the idea of having only one writer at a time, but I think
it'll be a hassle to get my users into the habit of doing that.

>   Are you suggesting that anyone could type at any time? Or do I
> misunderstand? Could you describe how you think this would work, in
> your ideal world?

Pretty much anyone can type at any time.  In practice, folks leave
sessions open for a long time, and might have multiple terminals
attached to them from different machines.  Maybe worth noting that these
are non-production systems, and there should only be one primary user at
a time.  We might get burned, but I haven't had any complaints about it
so far.

Bryan Stansell <bryan@conserver.com> wrote:

> if you really want multiple writers, you can always patch
> the code...there's probably only one or two places something would need
> to be commented out/adjusted.

Cool, it's good to know that you don't see any major barriers to doing
it.  I'm no c coder, but I did peek around in the sources a bit trying
to find any gotchas.  I'll see if I can find and remove the checks for
read/write permissions and get it to build :^)

Thanks much for the info,
Brian