Break sequences

Mike Daigle mdaigle@yorku.ca
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:12:29 -0800 (PST)

I have a couple of questions about how the break sequences work.

I am playing with an OpenGear CN4148 consoel server. The sequence to send a BREAK is ~b

My testing went thus:

If I connect directly to a port (4002 say) then typing ~b sends a BREAK and the system halts (Sun). But it means I cannot use ~b in my unix commands to the host. (which means I can't run a program from bob's home directory for exammple!)

If I connect through conserver where I have a break sequence defined to send a ~b then I can type the command with the ~b.

BEAUTIFUL - but why does it work? How does the console server know the difference? How does conserver trick the console server? Are my results just luck based on the timing at which I type the characters?

-- Mike Daigle \ | | Network Operations Project Supervisor \| /\ |~ |/ Computing and Network Services | \/ | |\ Room 011 Steacie Science Library UNIVERSITY Email: mdaigle@yorku.ca 4700 Keele St. Toronto Phone: 736-2100 ext.22730 Ontario, Canada M3J 1P3

For thousands of years mankind lived just like the animals;
Then something happened that unleashed the power of his imagination;
He learned to talk.
	-- Pink Floyd