RE: Permissions problems with conserver 8.11

Phillip Pacheco ppacheco@genesyslab.com
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:30:48 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for the prompt response.

I am afraid I don't know what you mean about access.c entries showing
up.  Where will they show up?  Should I run conserver in daemon mode,
try to connect with console, then run conserver -D a second time?  I
tried just that, and found no access.c entries.

I also tried console -v unixlab2 but that did not show anything useful.
Then I recalled that the console command has many of the same switches
as conserver, so I ran this:

{unixlab2}/usr/local/etc> console -D -D -D unixlab2

There were many lines created of course but this one seems to be the
only relevant (or at least the most salient):

console: DEBUG: [console.c:465] GetPort: hostname=XXXXX.genesyslab.com
(console), ip=199.XX.XXX.XXX, port=782

*X'ed out the hostname & IP for security reasons.

This confirms my initial fears:  We have an extensive pre-existing
conserver network in our production environment using 7.1.3.  unixlab2
is not mentioned anywhere in the config of the production network, yet
somehow it attempts to reference one of the other conserver servers.
This raises new questions:
1.  Can I integrate an 8.1.1 server with the pre-existing 7.1.3 network?
(eventually we will upgrade the whole network)

2.  How can I separate this test environment from the production
environment?

Thanks again for your attention to this matter.  Your efforts are
greatly appreciated.

Phillip Pacheco
WIS-UNIX