Re: Conserver Problems: Slow Start & SSL Errors

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux@rkirkpat.net
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:20:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Bryan Stansell wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 05:08:35AM -0600, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > *) When I try and connect with the console client, even from the local
> > machine, it takes 2-5 seconds for the connection to occur.

> actually, you probably have ssl on, but don't realize it.

That was it! I did not realize that the 'console' client used SSL by
default, or even that SSL was compiled in (using Debian testing package
backported). Once I added '-E' connections sped up greatly! Thanks!

> > *) More seriously, when I connect with '-A' to display the last ten lines,
> > eight times out of ten, the last ten lines are displayed, and then console
> > exits with the error 'console: FileRead(): SSL error on fd 3'.
>
> this one i can't reproduce (yet, anyway).  i didn't use your config
> file,

I did a bit more testing on this problem, and I can rule out OpenSSL as
the cause. I recompiled conserver and console w/o OpenSSL support, and
while I did not get the SSL error message on connect w/replay, it still
disconnected me after the replay.

Looking at the general logfile, it appears the conserver process I am
connecting to is generating a 'Signal 11' when I ask for a replay. So,
conserver is not just dropping the connection, but actually crashing.

I looked into the log files causing a crash on replay and the ones that do
not. I found the following:

*) If the end of the log file contains all data from the serial port
(e.g. error message from my router's console), then I can connect w/replay
w/o a problem. No crashes, no sudden disconnects.

*) If the end of the log file contains only log events (i.e. '^[-- .*]'
lines) of MARK and console up/down messages (e.g. there has been no input
from the serial port in a long time), then when I connect w/replay I am
disconnected after the replay and conserver crashes.

*) If the above log file has an attach AND a detach log event appended to
it (either via connect w/o replay, or via manual cut'n paste), then when I
connect w/replay everything works fine, no crashes, no sudden disconnects.

Where, the end of the file is the last 10-20 lines. Therefore, it looks
like the replay log parsing algorthim is choking on lines of only MARK and
console up/down messages at the end of log files. Hopefully this helps you
get closer to solving, or at least duplicating this problem.

Let me know if there is anyway else I can help in solving this problem.
Thanks. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |