Re: Conserver Problems: Slow Start & SSL Errors

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:49:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 05:08:35AM -0600, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> *) When I try and connect with the console client, even from the local
> machine, it takes 2-5 seconds for the connection to occur. This is even
> longer than it takes to SSH into the system in the first place. I have SSL
> turned off, and I have DNS resolution setup correctly. From 'top', it
> looks like a lot of CPU time is being used by conserver during the
> connection start up. The older versions of Conserver was nearly
> instantaneous on connection.

actually, you probably have ssl on, but don't realize it.  if you run
'conserver -V' and see openssl in the options: section, you've got it.
the config you shared shows 'sslrequired: off', which just means it can
allow a non-ssl client to connect, but still offers it and tries to use
it.  if you run 'console -E <console>' then you'll attempt a non-ssl
connection (which should be nice and fast).  you can add an 'sslenabled
off;' to a .consolerc file (in a config block) if you'd like it off by
default (the console manpage talks about that file).

> *) More seriously, when I connect with '-A' to display the last ten lines,
> eight times out of ten, the last ten lines are displayed, and then console
> exits with the error 'console: FileRead(): SSL error on fd 3'. As I said
> above, I am not using SSL at all. Connections attempts without '-A' never
> fail.

this one i can't reproduce (yet, anyway).  i didn't use your config
file, but, in theory, that shouldn't matter (and it would be kinda hard
to since i don't have useful serial ports on my box).  what version of
openssl are you using?  perhaps it's worth upgrading as a test?  though,
i haven't seen issues like this at all...so, i'm shootin' in the dark
here.

Bryan