Conserver 7.2.7 using Cyclades terminal servers with SSH

Greg Brown gregb_ka6max@hotmail.com
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:59:23 -0700 (PDT)

I have been happily using 7.2.7 for 100+ unix hosts within our data center. Now it will be necessary to support about 20 more machines outside of our building at a customer's data center. The link must be encrypted, and SSH is something that both Cyclades and HP/UX 10.20 have in common.

I understand how the reverse-telnet ports work on my existing Conserver and Xyplex terminal server setup.

My questions are:

1) How will Conserver connect to each port on a terminal server using SSH? Does all traffic stay on TCP port 22? (There is a firewall between the 2 networks.) I will be glad to Read The Fine Manual, if someone would point out the location of this info.

2) If I decide to upgrade to the current Conserver release, is there a conversion script, or a methodology for converting the existing conserver.cf and conserver.passwd files to the new version?

3) I may decide to bring up a new Conserver host on Linux, Fedora Core 3 or ES4, rather than try upgrade on the current HP/UX 10.20 server, or to find an HP/UX 11.x box, or run it on a Sun Solaris server. Is there anyone out there with strong feelings about which OS is best for Conserver and whether Linux is adequate? (HP/UX 10.20 on 64-bit architecture has been working well for me.)

Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject, and thanks to Brian for maintaining the codebase.

Greg Brown
CSC San Diego Data Center