Re: More break help needed

nathan r. hruby nhruby@uga.edu
Tue, 18 May 2004 07:23:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:

> OK so call me stupid, but I sure am having problems with break sequences,
> I'm now 2 for 2.
>
> Perhaps if I understood the break sequence syntax I might be able to
> figure this out.
>
> I've poked around some but haven't found anything about the syntax, how do
> you figure out what to send?
>
> For example in the config file the sun-std sequence is "\z" what does that
> men in simple english?  I guess it equates to send brk.

I believe so.

> I'm now working on the alternate break sequence, so what does "\r\d~\d^b"
> mean I surmise <return>~<CTRL>B, but what means what?

newline, pause, ~, pause, ^B

> When I send the alternate break sequence I get
> [halt sent]
> # ^B
> but the server continues to run.  If I change the sequence back to default
> the standard break sequence works just fine.

Right, IIRC, this is the "Alternate Break Sequence" in solaris, defined so
you can have something other than a break (which some term servers send on
shutdown / disconnect) to halt the machine.

I'm not super-solaris guy so, someone please correct whatever
misinformation I have :)

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby@uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free