Conserver + IPMI/Serial Over LAN

Tim Small tim@buttersideup.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 07:51:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

Using a small expect script as glue, I've managed to plug conserver into Intel's "dpcproxy" program, which lets you speak their Serial Over LAN (sol) protocol to Intel motherboards with IPMI (such as the Intel SE7501WV2, which I understand is also used by some of Sun's "SunFire" Xeon servers).

I have used this to implement serial consoles + serial BIOS on a half rack of servers, with only ethernet, and power connections to each machine - no serial concentrators or serial cabling required (!) - IPMI also gives you remote power on/off, and hardware health stuff, amongst other things.

If anyone is interested, I've posted the glue script here:

http://buttersideup.com/docs/howto/IPMI_on_Debian_files/

as part of this howto:

http://buttersideup.com/docs/howto/IPMI_on_Debian.html

Any comments welcome!