Re: console -A and console down

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:23:50 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:13:42PM -0500, Matt Selsky wrote:
> Each machine prints the time to the console every 15 minutes to
> confirm that the console is working.  We are using Cisco 3620 terminal
> servers.  Any idea why the console would suddenly go down like that?

are there any messages in the conserver logfile (either stdout/stderr
or -L/'logfile' option)?  that would be the only place there might be a
clue, unless the cisco is logging something on it's console.  i'd check
both.

> When I try to connect to the console:
>
> $ console -A foo
> [Enter `^Ec?' for help]
> [line to console is down]
> [replay]
> [no log file on this console]
>
> But there is a log file for this console.  /var/log/consoles/foo exists
> and has data in it.

yeah, the logfile isn't accessible unless the console is up.  now that
you've pointed it out, that really seems wrong.  personally, i think it
would be useful to replay the logfile if the console is down...might
help explain why it went down, or let you fix problems.  i'll see if i
can "fix" this.  i don't *think* there's a problem (inside the code)
with having the logfile open even though the console is down.  there
should be only a few things to adjust (i think!) to use that philosophy.

Bryan