Re: Conserver logfiles

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:07:34 -0800 (PST)

yep, all versions just grow.  i usually set things up so that files are
moved to a subdirectory then conserver is sent a SIGUSR2 (if 7.2.5 or
above, otherwise a SIGHUP).  if anyone has a good methodology for
trimming/rolling/size-restricting logfiles automatically, i'd love to
hear about it.  the key is it needs to be able to do things VERY quicky
(as the server shouldn't really block waiting for a 500MB file get
copied, compressed, or whatever) and a certain amount of data, ideally,
would be retained so a reply could happen (if things roll automatically
it could be quite intrusive at a major downtime, for example).

so, those are the kinds of things i worry about.  when it's controlled
externally, folks can schedule things appropriately and just opening a
bunch of files is (usually) very quick.

but, like i said, ideas would be cool!

Bryan