Re: Sending a break to a Solaris client

Anders Nordby anders@fix.no
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:29:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I've attached my "solution" to this, which I sent to the list some time
back.

You're probably better off using direct connections instead of piping
telnet, though.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:07:25PM -0800, Richard Zinar wrote:

>    Hi,
>

>    I've just started using conserver (V7.2.6).  Most of our hosts are
>
>    Solaris boxes connected to a WTI console server (CMS-16 model).
>
>    The conserver.cf file resembles the following:
>
>    LOGDIR=/var/log/consoles
>    TIMESTAMP=1ha
>

>    holmium   :|telnet wti11.admin.sc.p4pnet.net 2103::&.log::1
>    lithium   :|telnet wti3.admin.sc.p4pnet.net  2109::&.log::1
>    radon     :|telnet wti10.admin.sc.p4pnet.net 2104::&.log::1
>

>    %%
>

>    allow:  10.0.0.0/8
>    allow:  172.16.0.0/12
>    allow:  192.168.0.0/16
>    allow:  p4pnet.net
>

>    I can successfully connect to a console, but when I send
>
>    a break using "CTRL-e c l 0", it's ignored (though I do
>
>    see a "halt sent" message).  I tried setting the break field
>
>    to "2", which some postings suggested was an alternate
>
>    break sequence for Solaris, but that doesn't work either.
>

>    Nothing been's done on the Solaris side to disable breaks .
>
>    Am I overlooking something obvious.  Thanks ...
>

>    -Richard

Anders.

Hello,

Just wanted to say thanks for making/maintaining wonderful software.
I went through some problems to be able to SEND break signal to some Sun
machines through conserver + piped telnet + a Cisco 2511 access server,
but finally solved it. Thought I'd share my solution. In conserver.cf,
put:

BREAK3=^]send brk\n

The ^] needs to be HEX 0A (in vi: control + alt gr + 9 on my Sun). Of
course, one can always send control + alt gr + 9 on the keyboard
directly and type send brk, but I prefer to have everything set up to be
available through ^ec<foo> which is described by the help that is showed
when running console.

I also need to log some more stuff (like which users attaches/deattaches
from consoles, the time they do this (when attaching/deattaching)), but
I suppose I'll figure that out. If anyone has some patches/tips in
regards to logging more than the default, let me know.

Regards,

--
Anders.