Re: Solarus 8/9 Sparc Questions

Doug Hughes doug@gblx.net
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 06:27:17 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Mike Daigle wrote:

> The only solution which I have found that gives satisfactory
> results is the Nudata(TM) Non Aborting Serial Port Adaptor.  This
> is a little black box that cost about $90. It has smarts onboard
> and allows the BREAKs to be sent from a terminal or terminal
> server port. But it monitors the DTR line, if it drops then the
> box blocks all input, thus if a terminal server sends breaks at
> power down they are blocked when DTR drops first. There is a
> timing issue here but it seems to work, I suspect they have a
> transmission delay built in to catch the fault before the BREAK is
> sent but I don't know this for sure.
>
> The beauty of it is that we can still use BREAK to halt the system
> if we want. If the terminal server looses power all our Sun's
> DON'T halt. It would also cover off any problems of the line being
> cut and looking like a break as long as DTR is cut at the same
> time.
>
> The only down side is the price tag.

To summarize what some others have said (and add a couple more)

The Digi, old GMP boxes (don't think they are still around), cisco
26xx and 36xx series Async cards, Lantronix (SCS-16xx, SCS-32xx), Bay
Networks (Annex), AlterPath ACS16, and others: all work as they should.

See http://www.conserver.com/consoles/breakinfo.html for
a rather exhaustive list of such boxes that work fine with breaks
(even when power cycled)

	Doug