Re: How to tell Sun keyboard console from serial console?

Greg A. Woods woods@weird.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:33:04 -0800 (PST)

[ On Sunday, January 19, 2003 at 19:18:06 (-0500), Michael Dolan wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: How to tell Sun keyboard console from serial console?
>
> As long as the kbd was not attached at time of power-on, then console is
> not the framebuffer.

Substitute /power-on/ for /boot/ and you're probably right.

> If a kbd was attached at power and a /dev/fb exists,
> console will be framebuffer unless eeprom is set specifically to ttya (or rsc).

I'm pretty sure it does not matter whether the file or linkg "/dev/fb"
exists or not, but otherwise I think that's essentially true.

> Although its probably logged somewhere, the info in that logfile might be
> stale or overwritten. You can determine if the console is the framebuffer
> or not with:  "prtconf -F".

I'm not sure that's the same as knowing whether the kernel thinks it's
"console" pseudo-device is attached to the KBD & FB or not, and I
wouldn't want to bet on it without seeing the source....  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods