Re: Hangup command

Greg A. Woods woods@weird.com
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:55:35 -0800 (PST)

[ On Friday, February 14, 2003 at 16:15:03 (-0500), Brandon Saunders wrote: ]
> Subject: Hangup command
>
> I have a piece of telephone equipment that I have hooked up to my conserver
> which needs conserver to close (hangup) the serial interface when the user
> logs out.

You probably can't easily do it automatically, but yes from the console
client you can "down a console" (^Ecd).  IIRC that should close the TTY.

When someone re-connects I think they'll have to "(re)open the tty and
log file" too of course...

>  I have scoured through the man pages and cannot find anything.
> I have tried sending the down command and then re-opening the connection,
> but that is not producing the signaling needed by the device to terminate
> the shell that it operates.

Well in that case you have a problem with the (default?) STTY settings
for the port and/or hardware wiring for that port.  Does it work
correctly if you kill conserver and then use "cu" to connect to the port?

Closing a TTY on a unix-like system will normally do the right thing,
assuming the port is configured properly and the wiring is done
correctly.

On some unix-like systems, such as NetBSD, it's important to have the
correct default TTY flags set for the port on system boot in order to
ensure the correct signalling will be generated by the tty driver.  See
ttyflags(8) and ttys(5) on a NetBSD system, for example.

--
								Greg A. Woods