Re: Timeouts after upgrading to V8

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:30:09 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 11:06:35AM -0500, Rataski, Tom wrote:
>  So... What am I missing here? Everything works fine with V7.2.7 but the
> consoles timeout w/V8.0.8.

ugh...at first i thought it might be a freebsd compatibility issue.  i
ran tests connecting to my web server, ssh port, etc.  all worked fine.
then i actually tried to connect to an external machine (google web
server).  it failed in the same way you are seeing...it connects, but
then times out.

i'm at a loss.  obviously i've done something different in 8.0.8 vs.
7.2.7, but i haven't figured out what, yet (aside from major changes to
all the logic).  it looks like this is a problem with solaris and linux,
as those are the two systems i can test on.

what i don't understand is why socket connections to the local machine
work.  in some cases the initial connect() returns a success, so all is
well (fast enough even though it's non-blocking).  but, i also get an
EINPROGRESS on local connections and then the select() shows the file
descriptor ready for a reading, and it disables the timeout for that
console - but the other non-local-machine consoles still time out and
select() never shows them as ready.

so, it's bizarre, but i'll be looking into it.  if anyone has ideas, i'd
love to hear them.

more as i come across things...boy, this is bad.

Bryan