Re: Conserver logfiles

Joergen Haegg jh@axis.com
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 02:47:57 -0800 (PST)

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 07:07:33PM -0800, Bryan Stansell wrote:
>>  yep, all versions just grow.  i usually set things up so that files are
>>  moved to a subdirectory then conserver is sent a SIGUSR2 (if 7.2.5 or
>>  above, otherwise a SIGHUP).  if anyone has a good methodology for
>>  trimming/rolling/size-restricting logfiles automatically, i'd love to

Many systems have the program 'logrotate' that manages log rotation in
general. Conservers Debian package is doing just that:

/var/log/conserver/*.log {
        rotate 7
        size 300k
        daily
        compress
        missingok
        postrotate
                /etc/init.d/conserver-server rotate
        endscript
}

I used to have 'reload' instead of 'rotate' until I read Bryans last
message about sigusr2. :-)

(The 'size 300k' is for those who run logrotate more often than once a day.)

'logrotate' comes from redhat, and can be downloaded thru cvs:
 cvs -z9 -d :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/rhl login
 # password is anoncvs
 cvs -z9 -d :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/rhl co logrotate
Upstream Authors are various RedHat people.

PGP signature