Re: Sending F1, F2, etc.

William P LePera lepera@us.ibm.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:00:56 -0700 (PDT)

I don't think you have to make any changes to the conserver configuration.
Do you see the POST/BIOS screens on your serial console, and cannot
interrupt them?  Some PC servers that support serial console redirection
also support a specific emulation.  Try sending the standard VT100 escape
sequences for the keys and see if that works.  F1 = ESC O P, F2 = ESC O Q.
You can specify the key translations in a -xrm option of the xterm command,
and probably other ways too.

If you don't even see the POST/BIOS screens, your server may not support
the serial console redirection.  Check your server docs, or your vendor's
website for a BIOS update that implements this feature.

Bill LePera
IBM Server Group
Poughkeepsie, NY

                      Bruce Pennypacker
                      <bpennypacker@dir        To:       users@conserver.com
                      ecthit.com>              cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Sending F1, F2, etc.
                      users-admin@conse
                      rver.com

                      09/24/2002 01:11
                      PM

Hi all,

We have three RedHat 7.2 servers with Cyclades Z series serial cards and
running conserver 7.2.2 to manage about 100 servers.  Everything has
been going great with the setup but I'm now running into a stumbling
block.  Some of our servers are standard PC based systems and I need to
be able to hit F1, F2, etc. during bootup to get into the BIOS settings
or to bypass various warnings.

According to the information at http://www.jimprice.com/jim-asc.htm the
keyboard code for F1 is a combination of decimal 00 and 59.  I tried
adding BREAK1=\000\073 to my conserver.cf but when I issue the break the
server doesn't recognize it.  So what am I doing wrong?  How do I go
about getting conserver to issue an F1 or other similar keystroke?

Thanks,

Bruce