Re: polling consoles

bryan bryan@conserver.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:43:57 -0700 (PDT)

Quoting Corey Hirschman <corey@rentec.com>:
> I was wondering if there is any way for conserver to test the
> connection
> between itself and the consoles it is aware of.

you know, that's a good question.  i'm not sure if there is, but it
would be an interesting feature to add.  perhaps, since most terminal
vendors use the "reverse-telnet" stuff we can send a noop-type telnet
escape sequence if there hasn't been activity.  but, that doesn't
really help in other cases, such as an ssh connection done via the
"|/usr/local/bin/ssh..." type syntax...that too will just sorta hang
and not notice an abrupt drop in a terminal server.

so, for a general case, i don't have any good ideas...but perhaps we
can do something for the telnet-based terminal servers.

anyone have any other bright ideas?  some socket-level thing we can do?
although that doesn't help the ssh-type stuff...ugh.

we can't send regular traffic, that's for sure.

Bryan