polling consoles

Corey Hirschman corey@rentec.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 07:46:40 -0700 (PDT)

I was wondering if there is any way for conserver to test the connection
between itself and the consoles it is aware of.

We run into a problem that if a terminal server goes down unexpectedly,
conserver will not realize that the TCP connections have been broken and
will keep them marked as up.  The terminal server, once back up, no
longer knows about the connections so none of the console messages are
put into the logs, until conserver is either restarted or an explicit
connection is made to each machine.

A similar problem occurs if one of the nodes in our cluster crashes.
Once it is fixed and brought back up, conserver does not kill the bad
connection and reestablish a connection with the node until an explicit
connection is made to the node.

I know this popped up on the list about a year ago and at that time
there was nothing that could be done within conserver.  I was wondering
if there is now a way to monitor connection status and if not get
suggestions as to how to best implement it.

Corey