Re: file upload?

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:11:00 -0800 (PST)

unfortunately, the answer is no.  not from withing conserver, anyway.
you could probably glue other tools together or use kermit or something
and just tell conserver to not watch the port while you're doing that
(down it with ^ecd).

i've had this request before and even started trying to implement it.
it's not easy, however, given the code as it stands.  there are partial
answers that could be coded up, but a full solution is tricky.  for
example, you'd kinda want the interaction to be uninterruptable.
meaning, if you're doing an upload, you don't want someone else to come
along and bump you or have them send a broadcast message or have them
trigger a server message down the stream.  so, the server needs to know
that it's a "batch" interaction and do all the appropriate stuff.  but,
you could just "hack in" an external command thing into the client and
pray that nothing screws with the streams.  hmm..."don't cross the
streams...that would be bad".

so, yes, a good thing to have.  easy?  no.  hack it in?  perhaps.  do
it right later?  definitely...just not sure when i'll get to it (other
crazy things are higher on the list).

in the mean time, i'd probably just use kermit...i think it can tie
it's socket to an external command.

Bryan