Re: users digest, Vol 1 #170 - 2 msgs

Corey Hirschman corey@rentec.com
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:56:31 -0800 (PST)

Matt,

I just configured conserver to work with a TS2000 using ssh so maybe my
experience can help you out.

I at first just got conserver working using telnet connections.  This
was simple and just required an entry like this in the conserver.cf
file:

     machine1:!termsrv:7001:&:

On the Cyclades the only important thing in making this work was making
sure all.protocol is set to socket_server in the pslave.conf file.

Getting ssh working was a little more difficult and required the use of
a wrapper.

First, I changed all.protocol to socket_ssh and did a signal_ras hup.
Then changed the line in conserver.cf to look like this:

     #machine1:!termsrv:7001:&:
     machine1:|/usr/local/bin/ssh-term 7001 termsrv:7001:&:

Using a pipe instead of bang executes the /usr/local/bin/ssh-term
command and passes it the port (7001) and the terminal server name
(termsrv).  Here is the wrapper:

     #!/bin/csh

     set PORT = $1
     set TERMSRV = $2

     exec "ssh -2 -t root:$PORT@$TERMSRV"

The reason I had to use the wrapper was because of the ':' in the ssh
command.  The readconfig part of conserver interpreted it as a field
separater which it is not.  I was going to change this in the source to
be something other than a ':' but decided to not muck with the source at
this point.  I figured I would just ask if in the next version could
have a compile option added to chose what character you would like to
use as a field serparater in the conserver.cf file.

The last bit to get it working was to move root's public rsa key from
the conserver server to the /etc/ssh/authorized_keys file on the
Cyclades.  I used no passphrase so it can connect without being prompted
for a password when you start conserver.  I then added
/etc/ssh/authorized_keys to the /etc/config_files file.

Last thing was I edited the /etc/ssh/ssh_config file on the Cyclades and
made the AuthorizedKeysFile /etc/ssh/authorized_keys,
HostbasedAuthentication yes, and PasswordAuthentication no.

There may very well be a better way of doing this, but for my first shot
this is how I got it going.  If anyone has any suggestions I would love
to hear them.  I think I got all the major configuration changes I had
to make listed here, if not feel free to send me an email.

Corey Hirschman
Renaissance Technologies
Systems Administrator