RE: macosx 10.2.1, getservbyname: conserver: Undefined error: 0

Stephen Bannasch stephen@concord.org
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 13:48:04 -0800 (PST)

At 10:30 AM -0800 11/5/02, Morris, Adam wrote:
>Greetings Stephen,
>	You need to add conserver to your /etc/services file (or wherever
>MacOSX keeps it...)  That error means that it can't find the port number to
>use for the conserver service.
>
>	Here is the lines from my console server...
>
># Conserver port - Console Server
>console 782/tcp         conserver
>
>	If you want to format them the same then you should try
>console	782/tcp	conserver		# Conserver port - Console Server
>
>	I hope that this helps,
>		Adam

That did help.  Thanks.

And if I had more carefully read the FAQ instead of just the INSTALL I would have known this!

I needed to edit conserver.rc because ps on macosx doesn't support -f.

The FAQ also helps partially with my next question

> 6) What does "console: gethostbyname: console: host lookup error"
>    mean (or something close to that)?
>
>    When the console command was compiled, it was told to use the
>    hostname "console" (what came after gethostbyname:) as the master
>    conserver host.  You'll need to either recompile console with the
>    appropriate name of your conserver host or add an alias of "console".
>    In most cases, adding an alias is my suggestion.

How do I tell what the appropriate name is of my conserver host?

Or where should the alias be added and what should it look like?

Thanks again!
--

-s