Re: remote modem with conserver?

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:33:55 -0700 (PDT)

i'm sorry to say that, nope, conserver isn't the right tool for that.
if you wanted to briefly interact with the serial port, you could use
things like:

(echo "AT"; sleep 5) | console -f remconsole

and you'd be able to see the response to the AT command, but it doesn't
provide a non-interactive two-way communication (although i've put some
thought into the client code required for that - unfortunately, it's
not as straightforward as you might think).  i remember that livingston
(the portmaster folks) had an app that would allow pseudo-serial ports
(local devices) access to the serial ports on their terminal servers.
that kind of thing sounds like what you'd need.  obviously, their
particular app won't work for you, since it's made for livingston
products, but maybe this will trigger something in someone's mind about
an app that would do what you want, in a similar way.

sorry i couldn't really help, but i've got to believe that something
like what you're looking for exists.

Bryan