what hardwares does conserver support?

Doug Hughes doug@gblx.net
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:59:10 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, David Harris wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 03:03:20PM -0600, Kailash Kayastha wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > What is the best, cheapest hardware that is compatible with the conserver?
>
>   Well, how about a partial answer? :-)
>
>   I've tested a bunch of terminal/console server devices with
> Conserver. We've been making an effort to identify those
> devices which will only send BREAK when you want to send it,
> and not any other time. (This is important in Sun environments
> using the serial console for remote console access...)
>
>   However, you can see what we've found about a number of
> different console servers on the page
>
>        http://www.conserver.com/consoles/breakinfo.html
>
>   Of course, you can also use on-board multi-port cards as
> well with Conserver, but I haven't done extensive testing
> with those. Perhaps others on the list can offer their own
> experiences with various vendors and models. :-)

I have heard anecdotal evidence that the GNP cards 'do the right thing'.
I can say that the Aurora sbus cards do send a break to 'most' attached
hosts 'most' of the time when the box experiences a power incident.

(Generally, I use 4 strand phone cable for console runs as it saves
a lot of space, running through the racks, is easier to trim to
custom lengths, and for some reason, the capacitance in the parallel
strands seems to be just enough to inhibit 'bad breaks' in some cases.
It seems the longer the run the better, ironically. ;)

	Doug