Initial installation and configuration

Shal Halka shal_halka@hotmail.com
Fri, 04 Jan 2002 17:09:55 +1100

My apologies, emailing problems, sending again just incase :)

From: "Shal Halka" <shal_halka@hotmail.com>
To: users@conserver.com
Subject: Initial installation and configuration
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 16:37:16 +1100

Hi,

I'm experiencing difficulties in getting Conserver working after the initial
installation. I am able to start the conserver daemon, however when I
connect using 'console -a serverA', I don't get the serverA's console login.
No output appears, other than the ^Ec escape sequence. 'console -u' shows
that the port is up, but the communication is still a problem.

I've installed a Cyclom Y RISC-Based Multiport Serial Board (16 port, db25
pin) to a standalone p.c running Linux Redhat 7.0 kernel 2.2.16-22 i686. The
software provided with the board successfully tested its installation. I
then extracted the tarball, and ran the following commands for installation:

# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/conserver \
--with-cffile=/usr/local/conserver/etc/conserver.cf \
--pwdfile=/usr/local/conserver/etc/conserver.passwd

# make
# make install

---

My conserver.cf file contains the following information:

LOGDIR=/var/log
serverA:/dev/ttyC0:9600:&:15m
%%
allowed:  127.0.0.1 serverA

---

My conserver.passwd file contains:

root:*passwd*:any
shal:*passwd*:any

---

I read elsewhere that mingetty  doesn't suffice for serial lines so I
installed a mgetty rpm, however it hasn't resolved my problem. My
/etc/inittab file is the generic installation file, with this entry for
mgetty:

s2:12345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -r -s 9600 /dev/ttyC0

---

I'm a new user, so I'm not sure what else needs to be considered when
configuring the setup. The Linux PC's only purpose is to act at the console
access server, it's not networked. The intention is to attach the serial
consoles of several Sun servers to the serial board. If more information is
required, please advise so I can provide these. Any assistance is very much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Shal Halka
Unix Systems Administrator