Re: conserver and gdb

Greg A. Woods woods@weird.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:56:53 -0800 (PST)

[ On Tuesday, February 26, 2002 at 13:34:10 (-0800), Bryan Stansell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: conserver and gdb
>
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 03:44:46PM -0500, Steve Lammert wrote:
> >
> > But that would essentially require that GDB be modified to include
> > pieces of the Conserver client code.
>
> yikes...wouldn't want to inflict that upon anyone.  that's the one
> chunk of code i've been afraid to touch too much (although it might be
> next on my hit list).  but, anyway...

Hmm..... I was on the verge of asking for something similar for the
nut-ups tools.  I'd like to be able to gather stats from my conserver-
connected UPS'.  That was what originally prompted me to ask about
reading and writing to a device through stdio of the "console" command.

I sure as heck can't "down" the UPS consoles every minute or so just to
collect the stats!  ;-)

Even if I couldn't read the result back from a pipeline to "console" I
had contemplated just sending the command to the UPS that way and then
collecting the result from the log file.  For nut-ups and/or Cricket I
could even separate the sending of the command and the collecting of the
data.  A cron job to do "echo f | console -f ups.1", and with timestamps
in the log even Cricket can easily gather reliable stats with a not too
complicated EXEC script.  However like GDB, 'nut-ups' ideally needs more
direct access to the UPS console for other purposes beyond stats
collection.

--
								Greg A. Woods