Re: Log consolidation?

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:33:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 01:15:08PM -0400, Matt Cheek wrote:
> a perl script.). Is there a way to send some or all of my console logs to
> syslog (in addition to or instead of individual log files). I would love to
> continue to have all the individual log files PLUS be able to also point all
> console output to a specific syslog "facility.level" so syslog could
> aggregate the records into a single file that swatch could watch.

Not with the current code.

> Any ideas? In the meantime, I'm going to try firing up a whole bunch of
> swatch processes. :-)

None over here (without code changes).  The recent code is lending
itself more to doing stuff like that, but it's not there yet.  It would
be fairly easy to be able to have a list of files (and possibly syslog)
as destinations for the output.  Then you could point all consoles to a
common file as well as specific ones.  Only problem there is the
logfiles themselves are not stamped with the name of the console, so
you don't know which thing generated the error.

There is the "unloved output" stuff which is kinda what you're looking
for.  The output is only generated if someone *isn't* attached to a
particular console (see the manpage for a better worded explanation).
So, you could enable that (the -u option in 7.1.1) and watch that
data.  It's not perfect, but would get you mostly there.  If you change
to code and remove the check for no one being attached, you're 100%
there.

Yep, it's all ugly.  I'll make sure the request/idea is in the TODO
file so that it will at least make myself (and others?) think about it
some more.

Bryan