Log consolidation?

Matt Cheek cheek@mars-systems.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:16:00 -0700 (PDT)

All,

I'm running Conserver 7.0.3 (and will be upgrading to 7.1.1 any day now.) I
currently have 113 managed consoles and, as a result, have 113 distinct
logfiles, one per console. I have been looking at swatch
(http://oit.ucsb.edu/~eta/swatch/) as a way of keeping an eye out for
various "events" that I would like to be notified of. For instance, a full
file system, a failing or failed disk, etc. (Most of my consoles are UNIX
boxes.) However, swatch is able to watch only a single file. In order to
watch all my consoles, I have to run 113 instances of swatch (BTW, swatch is
a perl script.). Is there a way to send some or all of my console logs to
syslog (in addition to or instead of individual log files). I would love to
continue to have all the individual log files PLUS be able to also point all
console output to a specific syslog "facility.level" so syslog could
aggregate the records into a single file that swatch could watch.

Any ideas? In the meantime, I'm going to try firing up a whole bunch of
swatch processes. :-)

Matt
--
Matthew Cheek          | Medical Archival Systems, Inc. (A/K/A MARS)
Systems Analyst III    | 1370 Beulah Road | Pittsburgh, PA 15235-5084