Re: Console taking 100% CPU

Chris Fowler cfowler@outpostsentinel.com
Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:39:15 GMT

On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 16:30 -0500, Chris Marget wrote:

> The goal of my project is to make TCP ports on a single server act
> like a huge terminal server appliance.  The
> xinetd/chroot/runuser/console/conserver mess will be a big mux,
> allowing me to present any console port in the environment directly on
> TCP ports on the server.  Users won't need the 'console' binary, any
> telnet client will do.

Meh.  Sounds like a big CF and security nightmare.

If you're going to do that maybe you don't need conserver.  I have some
"reverse TCP" code I wrote some years back that will do exactly what you
are looking to do.  It emulates the behavior of an old school terminal
server.

> There's probably a better way to do this than having xinetd launch
> console, but I'm not sure what it is.  This console CPU problem is a
> show-stopper.

Fix it.  I've not looked at the new code but it seems to me that it is
not catching EOF.  I could be wrong.

(sleep 3) | strace console myconsole 2>/tmp/strace.log

What is it doing?