Re: Proposal: Inhibit "console down"

Chris Ross cross+conserver@distal.com
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:03:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 21, 2007, at 14:29, Greg A. Woods wrote:
I admit I'm not a common user of most types of non-computing devices
that many conserver users may have connected to their console servers
for one reason or another, but I must say I've never encountered any
kind of device in recent years that echoed a password back to the user.

It's very common for routers to require you to enter a new password in
into the CLI, which will be echo'd. The password prompts don't typically
echo passwords, but passwords are sometimes used in other ways. This
is the first example I have thought of, but I'm sure there are others.

I.e. I think stopping logging to hide passwords is a very poor excuse. :-)

I think this would be something that conserver should have, for just this
above reason. I think it should be a fairly restricted ability, to prevent both
abuse and accidental use, but I think it has clear value, in an admittedly
small number of situations.

  Just from someone who does console-monitor a variety of routers and
switches, in addition to UNIX host consoles.

- Chris