To ask a familiar question: auto-login of console connections

Chris Ross cross+conserver@distal.com
Sun, 18 Nov 2007 09:20:45 -0800 (PST)

Hi there. I know this question has been asked before in numerous forms, and there is some information in the mailing list archives et al regarding perl and expect scripts using telnet and/or ssh, etc etc.

But, to pose my thoughts and questions; I have a conserver host connecting to a variety of serial consoles through a Cisco access server. I could use ssh to get encrypted communications, but it's a private network locally, so I'm not worried about that. That means I can just use conserver to open the [telnet] connection directly, which is nice. When the TCP connection gets opened, the Cisco is configured to request a username and password log in. I know that I could use initcmd with an expect script, or the like, to do this. But, I can't tell from the documentation what happens *after* the initcmd runs. Is it possible to run the initcmd, then drop back to having conserver manage the connection directly? I'm assuming not, because I would have to "share" the fd's with the initcmd to be able to reuse them when the command exited.

Is there a way to run a command, or some sort of built-in expect- like logic, to process a log-in on a "type host" connection, without having to have another [two] processes running to continue to manage the connection?

Thanks...

- Chris