Re: Redundant master servers possible?

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:58:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 02:54:49PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:
> So aside from setting up multiple master servers, one for each site,
> how can I setup things so that I have a master and a standby server,
> so that if the master goes down, all the clients know to talk to the
> standby box, which picks up the session(s) dropped by the master.

There isn't anything internally to support that setup.  You can
certainly just have a copy of the conserver.cf file on another host
(which has access to everything) and turn up conserver there if/when
necessary.  To make it even fancier, you could have a process test
connections to the main conserver host to auto-detect when it goes down
and then fire things up automatically.  And I suppose you could even
make the startup sequence on the main server go to the backup and
shutdown any existing conserver processes, so that it can take back
control.

You've probably thought of all this...unfortunately I don't have any
other bright ideas.

As for the client issue, if you can swing a dns name quickly, you'd be
good.  Or you create a wrapper for the console command that first tries
the master, and if it fails, tries the backup.  Again, nothing internal
to help you out, but it seems doable.

Bryan