Re: Conserver chaining -- cyclades-ts to consolidating linux server

Bryan Stansell bryan@conserver.com
Tue, 9 May 2006 17:38:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 02:17:53PM -0700, Phillip Pacheco wrote:
> I have a question which is sort-of on this topic.
>
> Is there a way to configure redundancy into a multi-homed structure?
>
> As I understand it, if the server which has the alias/name of 'console'
> crashes then the whole console network is offline.  Is this correct?  If
> so, is there a way to setup redundancy which will avoid this single
> point of failure?

well, it's not totally offline...you just need to hit it via a different
server.  if you point the console client at one of the other conserver
instances, it'll be fine and redirect to whatever is necessary.  so, you
could put in an alias/name of 'console2' (or something) of another
instance and then use 'console -M console2 foobar' and the client will
talk to 'console2' instead of 'console' and all should be well.

it would be ideal to have the client process a list of masters, so it
would automatically fallback to other instances.  but it doesn't do that
(yet, anyway).

Bryan