Using conserver to secure cisco routers

Mark Jayson Alvarez jay2xra@yahoo.com
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 00:33:55 -0800 (PST)

Good day!

I'm looking for ways to secure our cisco routers by not allowing remote access to it, and  only console access. To do this, I would connect the router to a pc using a console cable. The pc is running freebsd 6.0. The pc can be accessed via a much secure ssh.  After a user logs in, he can use "cu -l /dev/cuad0 -s 9600" Now he can connect to the cisco router and recieve the login prompt. Now my problem is how am I going to have multiple users login to the router using only one console cable (as the router is limited to only one console port). This is required because most of the time, our NOC engineers are troubleshooting our network at the same time using different priviledges. After googling for a while, I found conserver.

Question:
Am I looking into the right tool or not??
Anyone here doing the same thing with their routers??

That's all for now.
Thanks!

Yahoo! Mail