Re: using one time passwords with conserver?

Arnold de Leon a-conserver@deleons.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:07:26 -0700 (PDT)

On 7/26/06, Ryan Kirkpatrick <linux@rkirkpat.net> wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Bryan Stansell wrote:

> anyone out there good at thinking outside the box? ;-)

While I don't need one-time passwords, I did want secure access to my
conserver without having to enter passwords. My solution was to restrict
accesst to conserver to only the local machine running conserver (i.e.
only loopback allowed to connected), but trust usernames and not require
passwords. Then to access the machine I use per-user SSH accounts, with
public keys on the conserver machine, and private keys plus ssh-agent on
the end-user machine. The conserver config excerpt is something like this:

# Establish access control.
access * {
  # Only allow connections from this machine.
  trusted localhost,console;
}

To avoid the annoyance factor of having to 'ssh' and then 'console', I
wrote the following shell script for the end-user machines, named
/usr/local/bin/console:

[script deleted]

This is similar to how we are planning on deploying conserver.  We
didn't want to have to distribute a client/script and so we are
thinking of a ways around that issue.

One idea we was to make create a script on the "conserver" master  and
link each console name to it so one can type:

% ssh conserver some-machine

Maintaining the links would probably need another script.  Console
name completion is broken but power conserver user can always type:

# ssh conserver console . . .

The really wild idea is to glue sshd to the conserver program and get
rid of the client all together and simply run conserver as an ssh
server.  For the really smooth installation an extra IP address would
be given to the conserver master so it can listen on the default ssh
port.  Then if you make the name "console" point to that IP address
you can type:

% ssh console some-machine

Just like in the previous example but it should be possible to have
conserver process the rest of the arguments so all the console client
magic can happen.  We only got as far as the idea stage so there are
probably gotcha's  that haven't been worked out.

[more good stuff deleted]

Out of the box enough for you Bryan? ;-)

arnold