Re: *****SPAM***** RE: Avocent to acquire Cyclades

Steve Lammert slammert@panasas.com
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:21:14 -0800 (PST)

I feel your pain. We have over fifty Cyclades TS units supporting nearly 2300 console lines. They've been a rock-solid part of our infrastructure for nearly five years.

Sigh.

Brodie, Kent wrote:
Oh man.   I appear to have been the victim of this a lot (that is,
managing some REALLY good technology, and then some big mother ship
swallows up said company, and the products I end up with all eventually
suck...).

The first of this was DIGITAL.   We all know what happened there.   And
so on.

Fortunately, on the ASSUMPTION that the existing cyclades line of boxes
get shelved, there should be (I would hope) enough surplus and/or
"previously owned" boxes out there to find one if you really need.

I personally have been VERY happy with my cyclades boxes--  between that
and conserver, I have something like 72 servers whose console ports I
have configured.   I have another 25 to add, just haven't gotten to them
yet.

NEVER had an issue.  And I'm doing console access via serial/SSH and all
that.