Re: using conserver to link vmware virtual machines to Raritan console servers

Christopher Fowler cfowler@outpostsentinel.com
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 07:04:46 -0700 (PDT)

One idea I had in the past was to use a Comtrol RJ 8 board and then use
a serial cross over cable.

Vmware Machine 1:  COM1 -> /dev/ttyR0
Vmware Machine 2:  COM1 -> /dev/ttyR1

Conserver Console 1: /dev/ttyR3
Conserver Console 2: /dev/ttyR3

Then just link the two together with a short serial cable.

I wish I could figure out a way to get conserver to connect to the named
pipe that Vmware uses instead of a true serial port.  As I said I spent
an hour writing a daemon that would manage pseudo ttys in an attempt to
allow a program called 'tip' to attache to a Vmware machine when the
machine was configured to use /dev/ttyp0 as COM1.  This did not work.
Somehow vmware states that a pseudo tty is not a real serial port and
then disconnects the device.