Re: using conserver to link vmware virtual machines to Raritan console servers

elmars . ositis elmars.ositis@hvb.lv
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 06:43:11 -0700 (PDT)

Ha Ha Ha!!!

Just did. but those machines are running ESX and are for really heavy stuff. In the meantime, this GSX machine runs the old stuff which have no minimum performance criteria. The machine is actually not bad, just not expandable. With 2 p4 procs and 8gb ram, dual power, remote management, the works, the machine is just a tad bit expensive to toss....! But you are right. 1u machines are a bit of a waste of money. Sun has crap cable management on their machines, and although IBM has good cable management, the slides are a piece of crap. I had one IBM 1u as bottom machine in my rack and it popped out of its slide as I was pushing it back in... crashed 30cm to the floor. One good thing about IBM boxes... they are rugged. Kept on running...

But anyway, that does not resolve the question of how to link the remote hardware 10km away...

Elmars Ositis
Head of IT
HVB Bank Latvia AS
Elizabetes iela 63
Riga, LV-1050
Latvia
tel:+371 708 5531
fax: +371 708 5507

Christopher Fowler <cfowler@outpostsentinel.com>

04/28/2006 04:22 PM

To elmars.ositis@hvb.lv
cc users@conserver.com
Subject Re: using conserver to link vmware virtual machines to Raritan        console servers

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 09:14, elmars.ositis@hvb.lv wrote:

> likewise, locally, the vmware server is a 1u job with all of its slots
> occupied with nics and raid controller... I do have the one com port
> on the machine, but that is not enough....

Invest in a better server with a PCI Quad Ethernet Controller and a
Comtrol Rocket Port 4 RJ.  Make it 2U so you can at least get 3 PCI
cards installed.