talking to terminal servers

Arthur Clune ajc22@york.ac.uk
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:51:15 -0700 (PDT)

I think I must be missing something here. The TODO list says that initcmd will do what I want, but I can't make it work.

The background: I want to talk to a terminal server. The session should go something like this:

kremer:~/code/conserver $ telnet my.consoleserver.com 3022
Trying 1.2.3.4...
Connected to my.consoleserver.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

Enter Password:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 5)

--

and now I have a console.

Now when I try this with conserver, I try the following config:

default console { type exec;
  host console;
  initcmd "/opt/test/bin/chat -f /opt/test/etc/chat.cfg";
  exec /usr/bin/telnet -E H P;
  execsubst H=hs,P=Pd;
  portbase 3000;
  portinc 1;
}

console fred { include console; port 22; }

where chat is built from the conserver distribution and chat.cfg looks like

ssword:--ssword: mypass\r

What I'd like to happen is for conserver to connect to the console server (via telnet), run the chat script, then give me back the console. What actually happens is that initcmd gets run before the exec, so the console server crashes :(

How do I handle this? I've read what I can that looks relevant on the mailing list archive and others have asked basically the same question

https://www.conserver.com/pipermail/users/2005-January/msg00001.html

but I couldn't see an answer in the archives.

Thanks in advance,

Arthur