RE: LISA 2005 attendees?

Greg Brown gregb_ka6max@hotmail.com
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:06:55 -0800 (PST)

Zonker and list,

I work in San Diego and just woke up to the fact that LISA is going to be here.

Does anyone on the list have any expo tickets or know where I can get some?

I would love to meet with some other Conserver "birds of a feather" and talk for a while about what we have all been doing. I am gearing up to build another new Conserver machine and would like to pick the group's brains.

Hopefully,

Greg Brown
CSC data center
858-573-3322  office

From: "Zonker Harris" <Zonker.Harris@bigbandnet.com>
To: <users@conserver.com>
Subject: RE: LISA 2005 attendees?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:38:25 -0800

Wow! And Phil's been on the list a few years! :-)

  When I started planning my first presentation for
LISA 2000, Conserver was 10 years old, and still a
'best kept secret'. I was asking some admins why
Conserver was such a useful tool for them (how did
they find it invaluable). Many replied "How else
would you do it?" They had started out in shops
where Conserver was already deployed, and never
learned about crash carts, didn't have to wrestle
with serial settings, didn't have to walk or drive
to other sites when they wanted to check...

  Since USENIX withdrew my class, the material won't
be in the proceedings, or on the CD-ROM. Therefore, I
think I'm free to use it in other arenas. I'm not sure
if I can interest SANS in it, or some other USENIX-like
entity in another region of the world. If I don't
find any opportunities that I can take, I'd likely be
willing to let the folks here get at the PDF file
sooner than the usual 1-year waiting period I've used.
(I use the "Notes Pages" format in PowerPoint, to
include most of the talking points for each slide
as part of the class handbook. You'd still be missing
the demos and interactive portions of the class...)

  I started this thread to reach those that signed up
for LISA, but I'll probably share it with the group at
large, given that the discussion is generating attention.

-Z-