Re: logging of "loved" output

Kevin Korb conserver@sanitarium.net
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:53:41 -0700 (PDT)

OK, I went back to my log file from when I was testing with -U and at
first it looks like what I described however when I dig into it with a
hex editor I can see what is happening...

When I was attached I saw:
[timestamp] [port]*: data\r\n

When I was NOT attached in I saw:
[timestamp] [port]: \rdata\r\n

This difference was probably just a tcsh vs syslog thing and not related
to conserver.

The first \r was overwriting the timestamp on my display and causing it
to dissapear.  The \r at the end was also getting truncated most of the
time do to the length of the lines causing the results to look even more
random.

I am going to stick with my current setup for now since using the
logfile option in the config file doesn't truncate the lines like -U and
-u did.

BTW, the I am not using conserver for the timestamping.  I have
timestamp set to "" in the config file and I am piping the output
through multilog (http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/multilog.html) to get
tai64n formatted timestamps instead which is why I wanted output to
stdout before.  Now I am getting that functionality by setting the
logfile to a named pipe that multilog is reading.

Not sure why the Linux consoles are putting in all those extra \r chars.

Thanks for the help.

--
Kevin