RE: Newbie question

Morris, Adam Adam.Morris@providence.org
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 07:56:03 -0700 (PDT)

Woohoo, an easy one.

First you connect the consoles you are interested in to serial ports on y.  Then you run conserver on y and configure it to manage those consoles.  If you are on host t and you want to view the consoles managed by y then you run the console command on t.  You might need to install conserver on t if the architecture is different from y in order to get the console command.

Conserver is the server part of the equation.  It manages the serial connections (and more) and makes them available to any clients.  Console is the client portion.  It allows you to connect to a conserver host and use one of the serial connections.  You can of course run console locally on the conserver machine.

I hope that this helps.

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces@conserver.com [mailto:users-bounces@conserver.com]On
Behalf Of Nick Bruton
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 7:40 AM
To: users@conserver.com
Subject: Newbie question

Hi,

Can someone tell me if I've got things correct ...........

I have a host called t

I have a system called y which has an 8 port usb-serial adaptor on it

I'd like to be able to see the consoles from y on t SO

do I need to run conserver on both y and t? or on only one system?

Thanks Nick

Nick Bruton                                          PADI Divemaster #624215
University of Bristol                                Yamaha YZF R1
Computing Service
Tyndall Avenue
Bristol BS8 1UD
Tel: 0117 9288193