Re: a little silly fun...

Christopher Fowler cfowler@outpostsentinel.com
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:38:01 -0700 (PDT)

My personal belief is that old terminal servers are a wave of the
past.   Specialized devices that are geared to console management or at
least the present and I do not know about the future.  Who knows what
will happen with legacy RS232.  It is becoming hard finding a laptop
that even has one and in my line of work (console management servers) I
need one.

What I do find strange is that not many companies that sell terminal
servers branded as console management servers don't take a lesson from
Comserver.  Even at my days at Computone years ago we acknowledged all
the great ideas that Conserver was trying to accomplish.  Conserver IMO
is the beginnings of some great console management concepts.

When we built our product we based it on some of the ideas of
Computone's terminal servers.  Any terminal server.  When we were done
we ended up with a device that did console management but would also
serve up IBM3151's.  Not one single customer of ours has used any
feature that was related to a terminal server.  They never use tip,
Radius, or even Reverse TCP.

I think they should rename the site
http://www.funwithterminalservers.com