RE: Problems with 8.1.0

McCanta, Jay mccantaj@amgen.com
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:32:33 -0800 (PST)

How about some setting that will only start so many connections per unit of
time per server?  I've set my exec command to something like...

	exec "sleep 10; /usr/local/bin/ssh -p 2210 ..."

for port 10.  I'm only doing one connection per second that way.  It's
really stabilized the startup of conserver.  We have 48 port InReach
terminal servers and it cannot initialize 48 ssh connections in short order
without hanging.

Jay McCanta
Amgen, Inc.
206-265-8335

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Stansell [mailto:bryan@conserver.com]
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 2:41 PM
To: McCanta, Jay
Cc: 'Bryan Stansell'
Subject: Re: Problems with 8.1.0

nope...and i doubt there ever will be, since keeping up with the
protocol and not introducing security bugs, etc, would probably kill me.
i, at least, expect ssh to "just work" and i rely on openssh and that
community to keep it all honest.

i really wish there was a way to prevent all those processes, though.
if you have a couple 32 port terminal servers, you can really get a lot
of ssh processes going (and it can be hell for the terminal servers to
keep up with all it's ports doing encryption/decryption...it used to
strike fear in the vendor's hearts when you ask "can it support 32
simultaneous ssh connections?"..."how long?"..."indefinitely."..."no,
i'm serious...you see, i have this program...").

but, if you have any good ideas on how to reduce the overhead of things
or a better way to integrate ssh, i'd love to hear 'em!

Bryan